The ALA School Libraries Section (formed in 1914) was incorporated into the Division of Libraries for Children and Young People in 1941. The name the American Association of School Librarians was adopted in 1944.
Becoming a Division
Ruth Ersted, Frances Henne, and Margaret Walraven were instrumental in seeking separate division status for AASL during an 1947 ALA reorganization.
AASL membership approved separate division status in 1950, and AASL began its new existence as an ALA division in 1951.